A further place to find out more is our user forum (setup as Facebook group).
Users of the EPC.App or PCT.App may join www.facebook.com/groups/ipappify.userforum to obtain the very latest information, provide feedback, discuss with other users, or ask questions to the authors.
settings_applicationsWhich devices and web browsers are useable and which security settings are necessary?
- It is recommended to run the EPC.App / PCT.App on a desktop computer or laptop with mouse. The Apps are not yet optimized for small screens or touchscreen editing.
The Firewall has to provide access to the following URLs:
shopHow can I acquire licenses and manage my user account?
- To acquire a license or test account, you first need to sign up for a user account. This requires your e-mail address to be verified, because it serves both as unique identifier for your account and for contacting you.
- After logging into the user account, you can select licenses. When you log in for the first time, you will automatically be taken to the selection area. If you already have a valid license or an active test account, you can reach your user account in the EPC.App or PCT.App under "Profile" on the right side of the top menu bar. There you can review your settings, change address and payment information, and purchase new licenses.
- For each App there is only one license per user at a time. As long as changes to existing licenses in the online user account are not possible, please send an e-mail to email@example.com to request such changes. For example, you can request to stop your test period early in order to purchase a paid license with PDF-generation at the next login. You can also request to terminate the automatic renewal of a monthly subscription to purchase an annual license at the end of the current month (with a discount for the second App). Your added comments will be retained in such case, as they are stored independently of the license in the user account identified by the e-mail address.
compare_arrowsHow do EPC.App and PCT.App combine?
- EPC.App and PCT.App use the same software platform, so that the same functions are available in both. The same login is used for both Apps and you can quickly switch between them by just clicking on the EPC.App / PCT.App logo on the right side of the top menu bar (visible if licenses for both Apps are present).
- The combination also enables bidirectional references between EPC and PCT as hyperlinks. So, in the EPC.App, links to any PCT provision of the PCT.App can be included and vice versa (possibly with a suffix, see Which abbreviations are used and what is their meaning?). Such references also work without a license of the respective second App, however, then only show the plain legal texts of the unlicensed product without any markings or comments.
chat_bubble_outlineHow can I add my own annotations?
- Select “Edit” in 1st menu bar and set editability-selector in 2nd menu bar to “editable” (bright)
Right to legal texts: Select a paragraph to be annotated, select the speech balloon icon from the toolbox in the 2nd menu bar (see picture), and select the writing prompt “Type something here…” which is added in the right column
- Below legal texts (and attached thereto): Select "+ new annotation", which is visible at all available positions when "Editable" is selected in the 2nd menu bar, and select the added writing prompt “Type something here…”
- Within legal texts (inline-comment): Mark a text passage with the cursor, select the speech balloon icon in square brackets from the toolbox, and select the square brackets added right to the marked text passage (if the icon is greyed-out, probably no text passage is marked so that no position is defined)
- Independent of other content (with separate title): Select "+ new comment" at any suitable position in the structure-view under the menu item "Edit>Structure", enter at least a title in the pop-up window, and then return to normal-view to add your annotation content
Markings of legal texts: Mark a text passage with the cursor and select a marking type from the toolbox. Markings that overlap others do overwrite these in the common area. Markings can be removed by selecting a passage again and selecting the remove-icon from the toolbox. See also this introduction video of the EPC.App.
save_altHow can I save my annotations and changes?
- All annotations and changes get saved automatically (at least upon selecting a different element). There is no separate save button. For comments, saving is confirmed by a yellow frame displayed around the comment field. If the frame turns red, an error occurred and the change could not be saved (eventually a further attempt may help).
createHow can authors' annotations be adapted according to my personal preferences?
- Contents added to articles (Rules, Protocols, G-Decisions, Comment-blocks below articles, …) can be hidden under menu item “Edit>Structure“, by selecting the respective element and selecting “hidden” in the edit menu.
- Authors' comments and paragraphs of legal texts (except articles) can be hidden individually, by selecting the text element and selecting “hide“ from the toolbox. Any hidden elements can be temporarily shown by selecting the menu item „Edit>Show all“. They can individually be re-displayed with permanent effect, by selecting the text elements (in the temporarily shown state) and selecting “display“ from the toolbox.
- Marking styles (e.g. underline, highlight, bold, …) can be changed under menu item “Settings”, and then consistently affect all markings of the changed type throughout the book, both in the web browser view and in the generated PDF. For example, the marking of all legal consequences (by default underlined in red) can be further enhanced by a red text color or red highlight, or made more distinct from other underlines on a black-and-white print by a contrast-inverted highlight or thicker underline (see pictures below). In the color selection window, brightness/saturation can be adjusted on a 2D selection area, while the transparency value selection has no effect. Changes are saved individually per user and can be returned to the default values. See also this introduction video of the EPC.App.
gestureWhich abbreviations are used and what is their meaning?
- As far as possible, only widely common abbreviations are used, see table below.
Use of these abbreviations is also necessary for adding links to other contents in comments and for assigning new contents to Articles (see How can I add further legal contents?).
An additional "PCT"-suffix is required for PCT articles/rules in the EPC.App, and an "EPC"-suffix for EPC articles/rules in the PCT.App.
short_textAbbreviations (incl. citation examples)
Abbreviations (incl. citation examples) A. 53(b) EPC Article (EPC or PCT) OJ 2018, A44 EPO Official Journal OJ 2016 SE4, A.3 EPO Official Journal Special edition / Supplementary publication Gazette Official Notices (PCT Gazette) Prot. Recog. Protocol on Recognition rO receiving Office eO elected Office DecP Decision of the President DecAC Decision of the Administrative Council dO designated Office SESR supplementary European search report SISR Supplementary International Search Report SISA Supplementary International Searching Authority EESR Extended European Search Report EP European EPO European Patent Office EPC European Patent Convention A. 2(1) Rfees EPC Rules relating to Fees PCT fees, 1 PCT Schedule of fees Prot. Immunities Protocol on Privileges and Immunities IA International application IB International Bureau IPE International Preliminary Examination London Agr. London Agreement IPEA International Preliminary Examining Authority IPER International Preliminary Examination Report IPRP International Preliminary Report on Patentability ISA International Searching Authority ISR International Search Report MPEP Manual of Patent Examining Procedure (USPTO) Notice EPO Notice from the European Patent Office NatL IV, 4 National law relating to the EPC PC Paris Convention PCT Patent Cooperation Treaty AI, Sec. 801 PCT Administrative Instructions AG-INT, 1.001 PCT Applicant's Guide, International Phase AG-NAT, 1.001 PCT Applicant's Guide, National Phase PCT Res. PCT Reservations RO GL Receiving Office Guidelines ISPE GL International Search and Preliminary Examination Guidelines Euro-PCT-AG Euro-PCT Guide for applicants Prot. Staff. Protocol on Staff Complement Prot. Art. 69 Protocol on the Interpretation of Article 69 EPC CLBoA I.C.2.1 Case Law of the Boards of Appeal R. 26ter.2 PCT Rule (EPC or PCT) GL A-VII, 3.2 Guidelines for Examination in the European Patent Office WO-ISA Written Opinion of the International Searching Authority RBoA Rules of Procedure of the Boards of Appeal REBoA Rules of Procedure of the Enlarged Board of Appeal AC Administrative Council AAD Arrangements for the automatic debiting procedure ADA Arrangements for deposit accounts WDC Washington Diplomatic Conference FP Further processing RE Re-establishment y / m / w / d year / month / week / day Prot. Centr. Protocol on Centralisation
commentHow can I add further legal contents?
The EPC.App / PCT.App include a comprehensive database of relevant legal contents (selected according to the EQE-regulations), which are not all added to the annotated text. From this database, users can add further contents (therein missing ones currently not).
- Links to other contents in comments (e.g. Official Journal articles and decisions from the case law database) can be added, by typing an abbreviated content element (see Which abbreviations are used and what is their meaning?), marking the abbreviated content element with the cursor, selecting the #-icon from the toolbox, and selecting from the recognized elements (dropdown menu). If the link is not generated, either the used abbreviation may be not correct or the element is not in the database (e.g. for older Official Journal articles and decisions cited less often). Such links can be used for navigation, if the editability-selector in the 2nd menu bar is grayed-out.
- Contents added to articles (e.g. Rules, Decisions) can be added under the menu item “Edit>Structure“, by selecting “+linked content“, typing the abbreviated element (see Which abbreviations are used and what is their meaning?) and selecting the desired target (from dropdown menu). At this point, also subgroups (sub headings) can be added by selecting “+group for linked content“, and added contents can be reordered by Drag-and-Drop, wherein possible new positions are indicated by yellow bars.
syncHow do I receive updates from the authors without losing my own annotations?
- The EPC.App and PCT.App are implemented as a database, which is accessed both by authors and by users, and in which user annotations are assigned to individual elements of the legal text. Updates of the legal texts are carried out by the authors, so that annotations which are assigned to non-amended elements remain unchanged. Newer versions of legal texts are added without removing outdated ones from the database, so that the latter can still be compared by adding them individually (see Contents added to articles) and for transferring possibly missing annotations.
- All amended elements of legal texts and authors' comments are provided with blue update notes explaining changes respectively of the element above each note. An overview of all update notes can be found under “Navigation>Notes”, where you can select elements to quickly navigate to the respective positions. You can also jump from one change to the other using the back and forward buttons of the “Note Assistant” which can be activated by selecting “Navigation>Notes”. The update notes can be removed individually by selecting “Edit”, then the note, and then “hide” from the Edit toolbar. They can later be redisplayed by selecting “Show all“ (see also Authors' comments and paragraphs of legal texts).
- The update notes can also be exported to the PDF (checkbox “with update notes” under PDF Jobs) to track amended pages. The PDF then contains an additional overview page for all notes (with page numbers and links to the respective positions), and the explaining content of the notes is displayed on the upper left corner of each amended text element (we recommend to use Acrobat Reader rather than the web-browser integrated PDF viewers). When using same layout settings as in a previously printed PDF, the exported update notes will indicate required replacement pages corresponding to your personal settings and content, but keep in mind that an amendment itself may further change subsequent page breaks. In general, replacements can be simplified by using the default “blank pages + articlewise numbering” PDF-option and replacing affected article sections completely (see also How does the PDF-generation work?).
doneDo the updates take the preparation for the European Qualifying Examination into consideration?
Of course, the authors have the EQE in mind with respect to all updates:
- With the EPC.App update in November, the content is brought in line with the law in force on 31 October, as relevant for the subsequent EQE. The Guidelines are updated to the latest version applying as from 1 November, because this is considered most suitable for the EQE. Namely, this version of the Guidelines only summarizes legal matters that entered into force on or before 31 October and are hence to be considered. And, this version is clearly accepted to be cited in the EQE as confirmed in the Examiner’s report of paper D 2018 and by the EQE Committees (it is recommended to mention the used version of the Guidelines once in your answer). Other parts in force as of 1 November are clearly indicated in the EPC.App.
- Further updates of the content (despite bugfixes) will be included only with the second annual EPC.App update in April, after the EQE.
- The PCT is planned to be updated once per year with the PCT.App update in November, where the content is also brought to the legal status relevant for the subsequent EQE.
notesHow can I take notes on my work progress?
- Yellow user notes can be added by selecting a text block, selecting the drawing pin icon from the toolbox, and selecting the writing prompt “Type something here…” in the added yellow box. Such notes will not be exported to the PDF-file and serve to keep records of the personal work progress. Under the menu item "Navigation>Notes" you can find an overview of all notes with the possibility to jump to the corresponding positions and a “Note Assistant” for jumping from one note to the next.
- Blue update notes are added with content updates for explaining changes by the authors. These notes can be hidden individually by each user or exported to the PDF-file (see also How do I receive updates from the authors without losing my own annotations?).
picture_as_pdfHow does the PDF-generation work?
- LaTeX is used for PDF-generation, i.e. from the text displayed on the website, LaTeX-code is generated, which is then typeset into PDF via a LaTeX-converter (while hidden elements and notes are ignored and a table of contents is generated). Hereby, it is attempted to reproduce the layout of the website as close as possible. Due to different page breaks and page borders as well as optimizations by the typesetting system, there are limitations to this. Please be patient, the PDF-generation of the entire EPC using this typesetting concept may take several minutes and may be delayed in case of plural parallel user requests. It is self-evident that the generated PDF files and printouts thereof are restricted to exclusive use by the registered user and may not be shared with others or duplicated for distribution.
- By default, the PDF is optimized for being printed and placed into a folder. To this end, the PDF contains additional blank pages so as to place articles of the EPC / parts of the PCT always on odd numbered pages (appearing on the right side in double-sided printing for faster access). The page numbering is restarted per article so that changes to one article do not influence the page numbers of others (for ease of replacing pages). Moreover, separation pages are added between parts/chapters of the EPC / PCT with summaries of subsequent content.
Alternatively, for optimizing the PDF to electronic reading or creating a thin bound book, said additional blank pages can be suppressed and the pages can be numbered continuously over the entire book. Independent therefrom, the default separation pages between parts/chapters of the EPC / PCT including content summaries can further be suppressed and the font size of legal texts can be reduced from a default value of 10pt to 9pt. If all page saving options are activated, the total number of pages in the PDF of the PCT.App can be reduced by more than 250 without removing any real content of the book. All options can be found on the "PDF-Generation" page in pulldown menus right to "GENERATE NEW PDF".
dashboardCan I influence in which column certain elements are displayed?
- Under menu item “Edit>Structure“, by selecting a content element, it can be chosen between single-column and two-column layout of the content element from the edit menu selectable below. Moreover, by selecting a group (heading) and selecting “manual break“ in the respective edit menu, switching to the left column in two-column layout can be enforced.
warningHow is the availability of the EPC.App / PCT.App ensured?
- The EPC.App and PCT.App are executed via a professional cloud service in a large datacenter within the EU. The datacenter complies with certified standards on data security as well as availability (e.g. according to ISO/IEC 27018 and ISO/IEC 27001/27002:2013), and assures a server availability for at least 99.95% of the time.
- The users can generate a PDF including the whole content as offline version or local backup as often as required. It is recommended to make use of this before important events of using the book. Such backups including personal annotations would also remain for each user after license-expiry.
- The Authors do their best to resolve possible errors in the Apps as soon as possible and to keep interruptions for updates as short as possible.
schoolHow do I prepare for the European Qualifying Examination using the EPC.App and PCT.App?
- Register for the EPC.App and the PCT.App as soon as possible
- Work through the whole EPC and PCT using the Apps and add own annotations (e.g. for the EPC.App summaries of G-decisions in own words)
- Create complete PDFs via the EPC.App and the PCT.App at least one month before the exam, print them, and work on paper in the remaining time until the exam (training of visual and haptic memory for the exam)
- Put the printed versions into folders with flags on sections or articles of the EPC / PCT for faster access
- Incorporate possible annotations which you added to the printed versions back into the Apps after the exam